The Billy Shears Fan Club
"Here's Another Clue For You All"

Monday, January 15, 2007

In On The Joke



Billy Shears as McCartney appeared on The Simpsons episode 3F03, "Lisa The Vegetarian." He helps Lisa become a vegetarian and tells her that if you play this song backwards, you hear a recipe for lentil soup. Over the closing credits of that episode, if you listen carefully, you can hear the backwards message. As an extra feature on The Simpsons DVD, you can hear McCartney read the recipe and say, "There you have it Simpsons lovers, oh and by the way, I'm alive."

The lentil soup recipe he speaks backwards is:

- one medium onion, chopped
- two tablespoons of vegetable oil
- one clove of garlic, crushed
- one cup of carrots, chopped
- two sticks of celery, chopped
- half a cup of lentils
- one bay leaf
- one tablespoon of freshly-chopped parsley
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- two and a quarter cups of vegetable stock or water

I'll have to try the recipe out. Billy was certainly in on it yet I wonder how many young people watching the Simpsons episode probably missed "the joke" altogether.

Apu sings "I'm Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Man, I hope I will enjoy my show". Since Sgt. Pepper's was the platform for his entrance maybe that should have been sung by Billy.
posted by Beatle Bill at 8:13 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home